The Annual Plumstead Pickle Festival
After a pandemic-induced hiatus, the Annual Art Plumstead Pickle Festival returns to the Old Mill Pub, Old Mill Road, Plumstead Common, on Tuesday 5th of December 2023. The Pickle Festival is free for everyone to enter and to judge. Bread and cheese will be provided to accompany the many delicious pickles you will get to ponder.
The rules: get pickling!
The most important thing to remember is that pickles take time to mature, so start pickling now! Whether you want to recreate your nan’s secret chutney recipe or bury a pot of kimchi on the Common, the important thing is to get going (although a good piccalilli can be made days in advance)!
Either way, here are some rules to bear in mind:
The important pickle/relish/chutney question
- For the purposes of this competition pickles, relishes and chutneys will be treated as one category.
How to enter
Please register in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org. Depending on the number of entries we will accept unregistered entries on the day, but it is useful to have an idea of numbers in advance. You can also email this address if you have any questions.
- You may enter more than one pickle.
- Only one jar of each entry is required but bring a big enough jar so as many people as possible can try your entry.
- Please label your jar with the name of your pickle.
- Please bring a separate list of the ingredients for each entry in case anyone needs to check because of allergies.
- Please do not add your name to either your jar of pickles or ingredients list.
- Judging is done by the public present in The Old Mill on the night through a simple voting system.
- The categories being judged are:
o Appearance (how it looks on the plate)
- Awards will be given for the first, second and third places for each category.
On the day
- Please bring your entries to The Old Mill from 6.30 p.m on the day
- Judging will start at 7.30 p.m. so please get your entry in by 7.15 p.m. (we will do our best to accommodate you if you are later)
- If this timing is impossible, please let us know. We will do our best to get someone from Art Plumstead to take to The Old Mill for you.